CALL FOR PAPERS
Conference on Sustainable and Safe Passenger Ships
5th of March 2020, Athens
About the Conference
The rapid growth of passenger ships over the last twenty years in the travel and tourism industry prompted cruise lines and ferries operators to build ever more innovative ships to cater for the diverse needs of a growing number of passengers. This has including ever increasing size of vessels to benefit from the economy of scale, small vessels specializing in coastal and short-trip transportation and vessels capable of itineraries to a greater range of destinations including environmentally sensitive areas.
The need to balance economic and environmental efficiency with increased passengers expectations of comfort and on-board amenities, along with improved passenger and crew safety, brings new challenges for those involved in the design, construction and operation of today’s passenger vessel.
To further investigate this aspect of the industry, RINA and HIMT invite papers from naval architects, class societies, operators, researchers, and builders on all related topics, including:
- Novel designs aiming at greener and smarter ships.
- Safety issues and risk control including damage stability, fire safety, evacuation and safe return to port.
- Smart technologies for efficient operations.
- Innovative powering and propulsion solutions (e.g. hybrid systems, cold-ironing, batteries, fuel cells).
- Enhancing port-ship interaction.
- Managing environmental impact with emphasis at air emissions.
- Designing for reducing noise and vibrations for passenger comfort.
- Sustainable short-sea and coastal transportation.
- Emergency response and lessons learnt for recent accidents.
- Advanced power management onboard.
- Supporting transportation and communication of island inhabitants with mainland.
- Updating the legislation for the operation of passenger ship.
Persons interested to present their work in the Conference should submit for review their manuscript according to the timetable shown below:
- 26th of September 2019: Submission of abstract
- 17th of October 2019: Information about abstract acceptance
- 23th of December 2019: Submission of full-length paper
In the first stage, an abstract of 300 to 400 words is requested to be submitted (preferably through email email@example.com).